Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Love It or Leave It

While stalking the pages of Apartment Therapy as I loke to do from time to time I came across a post called Rose-Colored Rental Glasses (and When to Move On). It made me think about my current apartment. I've live here over a year and resigned my lease. For the last 6 months I went back and forth about moving to a new apartment or even buying a house. I'm not financially ready to buy a house, but thought was intrigueing. I love decorating shows and the thought of being able to decorate my own space. To paint, find antique pieces, a yard for my very own first dog to play in, a place for furture kids to play in. Just something nice small and simple just for me. So I decided to resign my lease because the thought of renting another place and still being unable to fully decorate like I wanted to wasn't going to make me happy. In the post on Apartment Therapy they refered to an article from 2006 written by Nora Ephron titled "Moving On". The article was wonderful and made me think about why I was really trying to hold on to my apartment. It has a wonderful view I think. There are of course better views in this city, but for the building I am in I love my view. That's my major love of this place. That and because I am not used to snow I have skyway access to my job in the winter. These reason alone if why I stayed. I also moved four times between 2010 and 2011. The thought of moving again stressed me out. I could not do it. Not yet, but despite that the article made me think. I might have to look past those few things and find the place I really want. I still haven't hung up any art pieces because I feel like whats the point. I still will not be happy here. I live in a 538 sq ft studio apartment and for what I pay I could have a house. So next year I will move on my terms to the place I dream of. My only other conflict is that a part of me wants this nice quiet house and another part wants a bigger place downtown. The only problem with buying downtown is condo fees. I've decided that for right now I'll let that dream go and get the quiet house outside of downtown. It's really not that great being downtown if you are not a person that goes out a lot. I'm not the party type so being here is just ok. To have the option is nice, but I'm ok without it. So I have 11 months to work on geting my dreamhome.

No comments:

Post a Comment