Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Hair Up There - LTPS

I wanted to share this post I found at Milk and Honey Hair. Jai speaks about her experience with wearing her hair in LTPS or long term protective styles.

I wish I had found this post sooner. I was natural for a little over a year when I cut all my hair off. Then I kept it short for a few months. Actually at that time I had a protective style, but maybe this post would have helped me to keep from cutting it off.

There is nothing wrong with wearing short hair, but for me I was being lazy. I didn't want to do the work it required to keep my natural hair healthy and styled. Now I miss my big fro. I have not cut it in about two months. Now that I want it to grow it feels like it is taking forever. It is too short for braids so I am currently wearing wigs. When it is long enough I plan to put braids again. I am usually not an advocate for new naturals to constantly wear protective styles, but I understand the frustration with the growing out process. I'll be natural two years next month. In my experience I found it is important to get used to your texture as it grows and not to try too many products once you've found what works. Though your hair does change as it grows and requires different products. I think it is a challenging journey that isn't for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment