Saturday, August 10, 2013

See the Conflict and Then Embrace the Change

I just finished a Google Hangout with some ladies about healing out bodies and it made me think more about myself, who I am as a person, and who I want to be. I don't want to appear militant or a rebel, but there is this person inside of my trying to get out. The person who wants to share who she is with the world and be accepted for it. I say that I don't want to be a rebel because what I feel on the inside is not the norm. What I want to do and share is not what the majority of the people around me do.

I think this might be a common struggle amongst African Americans. Do we really know who we are or do we only know what we see around us everyday? No wonder so many of us feel depressed. We are constantly suppressing who we truly are. I want to embrace colors, my natural hair, patterns, and jewelry. Wear a head wrap and not looked at sideways. Sway and jive my hips while sitting at my desk at work (which I do). Since moving hundreds of miles away from my family I have embraced that person inside of me a little more, but there is so much more of her that wants to come out. Sometimes I don't know who she is. What is it that she wants to say and do? A change is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment